the postgraduate session
The Postgraduate Session occurs on the Saturday afternoon of the conference. All submissions are blind reviewed and a maximum of eight are selected for presentation. Only current postgraduate students (including those who have obtained a postgraduate degree within the past year) can submit for the Postgraduate Session. Each talk for the Postgraduate Session lasts up to 20 minutes and is followed by an additional 10 minutes for discussion.
• Submissions should be no more than 2500 words, including footnotes and bibliography, and should begin with a 100-250 word abstract.
• Submissions should be prepared for blind review. The following details should be entered onto the online submission form: name of the author, title of the paper, institution and status, and email and mailing addresses.
• Submissions should not include any self-identifying references in the body or footnotes of the text.
• Submissions should be typewritten in a standard 12 pt font and single-spaced throughout (including references and quotations). All pages should be numbered and have margins of one inch or more.
• Submissions should be formatted in Word, RTF, or PDF. Papers containing symbols liable to distortion should be submitted in PDF.
• Students whose papers have been selected for the Postgraduate Session will be informed by the end of March 2018.
• The selected postgraduate students will have their conference fee and accommodation expenses covered by the Aristotelian Society.
• Exemplary papers delivered for the Postgraduate Session will be considered for publication in the Proceedings of the Aristotelian Society.
• Only one paper per individual may be submitted. Submissions must be for either the Open or the Postgraduate Sessions – not both. Rejected submissions for the Postgraduate Session could be recommended for the Open Session.
• All conference delegates must be members of either the Aristotelian Society or the Mind Association.
6–8 July 2018
Faculty of Philosophy
Radcliffe Observatory Quarter 555
Oxford OX2 6GG
future joint sessions
2019 joint session:
2020 joint session:
2021 joint session:
Visit our Future Joint Sessions page for further information.
The inaugural address and symposia for the Joint Session are published in the Proceedings of the Aristotelian Society, Supplementary Volume, which is published digitally and in hardcover every June. The Supplementary Volume is sent to subscribing members of the Society in categories 4 and 5.
Members in other categories can purchase the hardcover Supplementary Volume from the Online Shop. Volumes will also be available at the registration desk during the conference.
2017 joint session:
14 - 16 july 2017
2016 joint session:
8 - 10 july 2016
2015 joint session:
10 - 12 july 2015
Subscribing members receive online access to the Proceedings from 2000 to the most current issue.
Subscribing members also receive the bound, hardcover volume of the latest Proceedings through the post.